Active Learning in a Digital Culture
TUESDAY, JANUARY 21, 2020
3:00 PM EST
Join us for a very special Action Network Live event with early childhood expert Rae Pica! The conversation about screen time typically involves the word sedentary. It's a word we associate with healthy issues-- but few have heard the alarming statistics Rae will share, along with her expertise of the cognitive domain and what we know about how children learn. Spoiler alert: it doesn't involve sitting! Rae will also reveal how challenging behavior is related to lack of movement. This will be our first event of 2020 and one you won't want to miss! Takeaways will include:
- Parents' misplaced fears about the risks of physical activity. For example, fear of rope swings.
- Real fears, heart disease, diabetes, health issues, and other risk factors that expand without physical activity.
- How parent screen use can impact children's healthy development.
- Concrete relationship between movement and learning.
- How behavior challenges relate to lack of movement.
After the interview, Rae will answer audience questions. We hope you’ll join us!
This webinar WILL be recorded. Check back here. Registration available soon.
College Kids and Anxiety: They Say Putting Down Their Smartphones Made a World of Difference
TUESDAY, February 18, 2020
7:00 PM EST
How did this college professor get hundreds of students to give up their phones and social media for a week? More importantly - why are these students now challenging other students across the country to do the same?
Parents who create a media plan can have full control with younger children. But, what happens as they get older? When they turn 10, 11 and 12 and beyond, they become immersed in digital culture. Join professor and Action Network Advisory Board member Joni Siani and her students as they explore their own social media backlash. Hear the kids themselves discuss the link between digital demands and the anxiety epidemic. Joni’s dynamic presentation will reveal approaches and concepts rarely explored!
- · Hear a health care counselor share the overwhelming demand for mental health services due to social anxiety.
- · Learn drop out statistics that point to excessive screen use as a driving factor.
- · See how several colleges are banding together to try the No App for Life Challenge this spring.
- · Witness empowering strategies that worked for college students
- · Learn how to join the No App for Life Challenge
This is a very special Action Network Live! you won’t want to miss! Invite anyone you know with a teen or young adult and anyone who teaches, coaches or loves them. Invite the kids themselves to hear directly from other kids why a screen break taught them so much.