The Miraculous Power of Reading Aloud
Monday, September 16, 2019
7:00 PM EST
Transform your understanding of reading aloud at our next Action Network Live event on September 16! Many people cherish the memory of being read a story at bedtime by a parent, grandparent, or older sibling. But few know how this simple act lights up the inner workings of a child’s brain – even older children and teens! Join pediatrician John Hutton and Wall Street Journal children’s book critic Meghan Gurdon as they explore the profound impact reading aloud can have on children’s development.
Topics they’ll cover include:
- How do school, community, and home reading environments affect children’s brains?
- - How does active reading support family bonding and intellectual enrichment?
- - What does reading aloud offer us in the digital age?
- - Is there a right time and place to read to children?
- - How are speech, language, vocabulary and literacy skills affected by reading aloud?
Dr. Hutton is a pediatrician and Director of the Reading and Literacy Discovery Center at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital, “spokes-doctor” for the Read Aloud 15 Minutes national campaign, and the author of 27 children’s books, including the Baby Unplugged series. Meghan Cox Gurdon is the longtime children’s book critic for the Wall Street Journal, and author of The Enchanted Hour: The Miraculous Power of Reading Aloud in the Age of Distraction.
After the discussion, Meghan and John will answer audience questions. We hope you’ll join us!